Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Can!

Yesterday, I watched President Barack Obama's Inauguration live along with countless millions throughout America and the world. Sitting alone in my Taipei apartment in front of my laptop at 1 a.m. watching Barack Obama take the Presidential oath on CNN.com LIVE is a memory that I'm sure will be with me for years to come. I felt privileged to witness History in the making. I had a perma-grin the entire time and couldn't keep myself from clapping and cheering at intervals along with the rest of the crowd. I laughed at the random people with their eyes open during the prayer (no names--Michelle and Sasha! haha) Of course I had to keep my eyes open, I was watching on the internet--what was their excuse?? : ) And I was proud to be an American as I stood alone in my bedroom in Taiwan, hand over my heart, singing the Star Spangled Banner along with the President, First Lady, Marine Corps Singers and millions of Americans.

I love what President Obama symbolizes to me and the rest of the world. I love that the Audacity of Hope shines through even in seemingly dark times. I love that the American Dream still lives on and that it is becoming the world dream. You can be whoever and whatever you want to be.

It's so refreshing to see a true leader who advocates peace and love-- and means it. I'm so happy to see America slowly begin to win back the trust and respect of our neighbors throughout the world. I've spent 4.5 of the past 8 years outside of America in China, Australia, and South America and I've heard all the complaints about American government and moral hypocrisy. So it makes me so happy now to hear all my Taiwanese friends and other foreigners from around the world in Taipei express their excitement for America. I've always loved America, but it feels good to see the global community share in that love again.

The picture above is of Barack and Michelle Obama last night at the Youth Ball which I also watched online at CNN.com Live. It's so cool to see so many Americans my age taking an active role in shaping the future of our nation. I loved hearing Obama speak to them--I wish I was as collected a speaker as he is. And watching Barack and Michelle slow dance was one of the cutest things ever. I've loved Michelle ever since seeing her bust a move on the Ellen Degeneres show : )

It's hard to describe all that I feel about this moment in history, but the words joy, gratitude, and hope come to mind. More and more, Barack Obama is becoming a personal hero to me, and I think that many of you probably feel the same way. It's nice to have somebody to look up to and admire. I believe we all have something unique to offer to the world and it's inspiring to watch somebody answer their personal call and take their place in history. In doing so they give us permission and an invitation to do the same.

Just wanted to share this moment in history with you.

Love,
Benji

2 comments:

  1. I completely feel (felt) the same way. Such an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Court...I didn't know you were on blogspot. I just read your delicious dapper apple blog and it made my mouth water.
    Thanks for checking out my world : )

    ReplyDelete